The current COVID-19 pandemic is an unprecedented health emergency. Many measures are taken to control the spread and reduce the number of cases worldwide. Health associations worldwide set guidelines and recommendations to maintain a healthy diet, prevent obesity and enhance immunity during the lockdown.
Poor diets lead to being overweight, obese or experiencing malnutrition. Trouble maintaining optimal nutrition may be due to emotional, hormonal, physical conditions, a lack of education, or a food desert. Regardless, improving nutrition enhances an individual’s quality of life and overall immunity.
by Courtesy: wuestenigel is licensed under CC BY 2.0
Here are essential tips to stay healthy during COVID-19 outbreak:
- Consult your primary care physician or nutritionist to follow an appropriate diet and fulfill your dietary needs according to your age, sex, and health condition
- Include fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains rich in fiber in your diet to maintain nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. The increased fiber will provide a greater sense of satiety after meals, preventing overeating.
- Incorporate vitamins and minerals like Vitamin A (eggs, carrots, dark leafy greens, oily fish), vitamin C (citrus fruit, brussel sprouts, peppers, blackcurrants), zinc (shellfish, dairy foods, bread), and selenium (brazil nuts, fish, meat, eggs).
- Limit salt consumption to less than 5g per day, no more than six teaspoons of sugar, and avoid trans-fat consumption.
- Try to consume fresh products, with fewer conservatives, like fruits, vegetables, and reduced fat dairy products, since they tend to have a higher nutritional value than the frozen ones.
- Avoid ultra-processed food, fast food, and commercially prepared meals, full of empty calories sodium, and trans fat.
- Be creative. Experiment with healthy home-cooked meals with your family or alone. It is an excellent way to spend time and helps reduce expenses with food delivery options.
- Don’t forget to prepare your meals with the appropriate hygiene to avoid contamination. Disinfect fruits and vegetables. Clean your hands, kitchen, cutting board, and utensils frequently.
- Stay Hydrated. It is essential to ensure appropriate fluids intake by drinking water (6–8 glasses per day). Avoid sweet beverages, caffeinated drinks, and alcohol consumption.
Courtesy: aqua.mech is licensed under CC BY 2.0
- Stay active during the quarantine. The daily recommendation is least 30 mins per day of physical activity, but it is possible to start with 30 mins every two days until maintaining a weekly goal. You can start with short walks, running, or family exercise (following social distancing guidelines). Inside the home, include easy exercises and you can follow channels or experts in social media with easygoing routines.
- Breastfeeding it is the best method to keep your baby safe. Breast milk contains the necessary antibodies that benefit the child’s immune system and protec against infections. Exclusively breastfeed until six months of age (no water, other fluids, or solids). Continue until two years of age or beyond.
These are tips to stay physically healthy and boost immunity during COVID-19.
Important links to consider:
- WHO dietary guidelines for the general public
- How to stay safe doing physical activity in COVID-19