State acceptance in Nebraska
Physicians: We are accepted by the NE Board of Medicine because we are accredited by AMA (category 1)
Effective with the 2004 renewal, continuing competency will be required in order to renew to active status. Physicians and osteopathic physicians will be required to have earned one of the following during the previous two-year period in order to meet the continuing competency requirement:
- 50 hours of category 1 continuing education approved by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) or the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
The AMA and ACCME have aligned their credit and accreditation systems.
Nurses: We are accepted by the NE Board of Nursing
LPN/RN: Have practiced nursing for at least 500 hours during the past 5 years AND have completed at least 20 contact hours of acceptable continuing education/in-service education within the past 2 years. Of the 20 hours attested to, no more than 4 hours may be from CPR or BLS,
Dentists: We are accepted by the NE Board of Dentistry because we are accredited by ADA CERP
Thirty (30) hours of acceptable continuing education earned during the preceding 24-month period prior to the license expiration date are required to renew your license.
Practice of Dentistry - 172 NAC 56 56-005.02 Acceptable Continuing Competency Activities:
- State and National meetings, i.e., a meeting of the local, state, or American Dental Association, local, state, or American Dental Hygiene Association, National Dental Association, and/or educational programs sponsored by the recognized specialty groups in dentistry of the American Dental Association;
- Initial Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification or CPR recertification
- https://sos.nebraska.gov/rules-and-regs/regsearch/Rules/Health_and_Human_Services_System/Title-172/Chapter-056.pdf -https://sos.nebraska.gov/rules-and-regs/regsearch/Rules/Health_and_Human_Services_System/Title-172/Chapter-056.pdf
Pharmacists: We are accepted by the NE Board of Pharmacy because we are ACPE accredited
The Board of Pharmacy has approved the following providers of continuing education: The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE);
EMS workers: Our courses count in NE as acceptable CME
Refer to Title 172 NAC 13-012 to see all continuing competency requirements for instructors.
- A Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation course must be taught by an individual: Recognized as: a. An American Heart Association Basic Life Support Instructor; b. An American Heart Association Basic Life Support Instructor Trainer; c. An American Heart Association Basic Life Support Regional Faculty; d. An American Heart Association Basic Life Support National Faculty; e. An American Red Cross Professional Rescuer Instructor Trainer; f. An American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer Instructor; g. A National Safety Council Basic Life Support Instructor; h. A National Safety Council Basic Life Support Instructor Trainer; i. An individual who has completed and passed an instructor course which trains instructors to teach a cardiopulmonary resuscitation course which includes the components identified in 172 NAC 13-010 item 1.
Tattoo artists: Our bloodborne pathogen course is acceptable in NE because it is accredited
To renew, a licensee must complete at least 2 hours of Bloodborne Pathogens (disease) training which includes sanitation, infection control and sterilization; and requires an examination as a condition of training completion.
This training may be obtained through any of the following: Nationally accredited organization; Local government sponsored; Hospital sponsored; College sponsored; OSHA (Occupation and Safety Hazards Act) sponsored; or Red Cross.
If you prefer sit-down, in-person training for ACLS, we have you covered.
ALS Affiliates / 52819 S 125th Ave., Ste 251 Attn: Scott Hartley or Staff Omaha, NE 68144-3873
CPR Associates / 5302 S. 23rd St Attn: Cindy Hightshoe Ashland, NE 68003
Central Community College / 53134 W. Highway 34 Grand Island, NE 68802
Great Plains Health / 5601 W Leota St North Platte, NE 69101-6525
Mid-Plains Community College / 5601 State Farm Road North Platte, NE 69101-7659
Total number of locations: 15. These locations CAN provide American Heart Association-branded provider cards if needed.
To schedule a session, please see our in-person scheduling page.
Life saving stories
Here's a few stories that warmed our heart. Just sharing and thanking you for choosing a career that helps people that need it most.
Man slams truck into gurad rail, needs lifesaving measures
63-year-old Kent Cederburg slammed his truck into a guard rail. Erica Lorenz, a volunteer with the Maxwell Fire and Rescue, performed CPR on Cederburg. She was able to get his pulse back. He was taken to Great Plains Health Hospital. It is believed that Cederburg has some kind of medical condition that caused the accident.
Man saves wife's life
Mark Curley awoke to the sound of his wife gasping for air, and then she stopped breathing altogether. He quickly called 911 and called to his daughter to help. The dispatcher talked Mark through CPR and he helped his wife, Ginny, until paramedics arrived. Ginny had suffered from sudden cardiac arrest, an incident from which the majority do not recover. Only the use of CPR can save someone in that situation, which is a reminder to everyone that learning CPR is time well invested.